A dental crown may be the perfect option if you need to repair or restore a tooth or improve its appearance. Your Family Dentistry of Palm Beach dentists, Dr. Sunitha Sirivolu and Dr. Manoj Patel, offer crowns at their Palm Beach and Royal Palm Beach, FL, offices.
5 benefits of dental crowns
A dental crown also called a cap, offers these smile-enhancing advantages:
- Protect Weak Teeth: Crowns prevent fragile or cracked teeth from fracturing or breaking. The restorations are hollow inside, allowing them to slip over the tops of your teeth. Crowns strengthen your teeth and absorb biting forces generated when you chew, which prevents the teeth from breaking. The restorations are added to your teeth after they've been reduced in size.
- Improve the Appearance and Function of Broken Teeth: Broken teeth aren't very attractive and can be painful if the edges are exposed to the air. Adding a crown to your tooth restores its appearance, ends your pain, and makes chewing and biting possible once again. Your crown is made from an impression of your mouth created in the Palm Beach or Royal Palm Beach dental office. Thanks to the impression, your crown will look perfectly natural once it's cemented to your tooth.
- Transform an Unattractive Tooth: Since crowns completely cover the tops of teeth, they're an excellent option if you want to hide a discolored tooth, conceal a large chip, or even make a crooked or twisted tooth look straighter. Crowns are made of porcelain, porcelain-fused-to-metal, ceramic, or resin, materials that look just like natural tooth enamel.
- Lengthen a Short Tooth: Grinding or clenching your teeth while you sleep or normal wear and tear may shorten teeth. Adding crowns helps you avoid bite problems due to the changing size of your teeth and improves the symmetry of your smile.
- Replace a Lost Tooth: Crowns are often paired with dental implants, titanium posts that replace tooth roots, to create brand new synthetic teeth. A bridge is another option if you've lost a tooth. Bridges consist of one or more artificial teeth connected to supporting crowns.
Could a dental crown help your smile? Call your dentists in Palm Beach and Royal Palm Beach, FL, Dr. Sunitha Sirivolu and Dr. Manoj Patel of Family Dentistry of Palm Beach. Schedule your appointment by calling (561) 795-7668 for the Royal Palm Beach office or (561) 582-1911 for the Palm Beach office.